Monday 2 May 2011

Fabulous friendship

I read somewhere recently that you will have around 50 acquaintances in your life but will only count five of them as true friends. I have a sense that this is very true but I must also be a very lucky person because I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I have more than five people who I would trust with my deepest secrets and hopes.

But it's also true that there's probably only three who I would ring at 3am if I needed a chat, or more likely, a shoulder to cry on. In recent years the need for middle of the night hand-holding has greatly diminished - mainly because my poor husband puts up with most of my moaning and groaning!

However, while my family are generally fantastic it's also true that friends are the family we choose for ourselves. And in recent years my friends have been a major source of support. They know when I want to talk about my MS - which isn't very often - and when not to ask. Lately, they are also the ones whom I love meeting for a coffee or dinner, leaving Charlotte with her dad, so that I don't forget who I am besides being a mum.

So, tonight's post is a big shout out to 'my girls' - you know who you are - thank you for being there, and thank you for letting me be me.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic post. I am sad to say I have noone but my husband as a friend apart from online friends who I could not do without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kara ... i'm finding that people online can be wonderful friends too ... keep in touch xx

    ReplyDelete